12Essential ESG Intelligence
From comprehensive company evaluations to vital data and market benchmarks, S&P Global is building and delivering the tools, standards, and data essential to meet today’s global market demand for ESG. To facilitate long-term, sustainable growth, it is imperative to analyze the environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance of companies and examine how their activities impact the world. Increasingly, our products include an ESG lens, adding layers of unique essential insight to help our customers make the link between sustainability and their business strategies and objectives.
Market Need for Solutions
- Global financial markets need a more consistent, standardized ESG approach including:
- Data & ESG scores, ratings, and benchmarks
- Analytics and assessments
- Broad coverage of global listed equities and private companies
- More than 20 years’ experience in addressing corporate ESG by applying an investor lens
- Holistic ESG viewpoint that is integrated and aligned across our divisions
- Heritage as a global leader in credit ratings, index solutions, energy and commodity benchmarks
- Centralized ESG data and score production that leverages common infrastructure, tools, and scale
Acquisition of ESG ratings business from RobecoSAM propels S&P Global’s ESG offering
In 2020, S&P Global strengthened its ability to provide a range of sustainably focused products and services to the market by acquiring the ESG ratings business from RobecoSAM, including the widely followed Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA). The completion of this acquisition and the ensuing integration of the SAM team into S&P Global have propelled our strategic work forward and augmented the insights we’re able to offer our customers.
Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA)—A Key Sustainability Tool
- The CSA is an annual evaluation of companies’ sustainability practices covering a wide range of industry-specific ESG criteria, turning intangible corporate ESG factors into scores and benchmarks.
- The CSA has been carefully developed over more than 20 years and is regarded as the leading ESG assessment for quality and usefulness by global sustainability professionals.(1)
- The CSA’s unique approach allows participating companies to share non-public information that remains confidential but is turned into ESG Scores reflecting the most comprehensive picture of corporate ESG performance.
- Companies that do not actively participate are assessed based on publicly disclosed company information.
How ESG Scores are built
Source: Christina Wong and Erika Petry. “Rate the Raters 2020: Investor Survey and Interview Results,” SustainAbility, an ERM Group company, March 2020