13Uniquely Positioned to Deliver Global ESG Solutions
S&P Global’s Sustainable1 solutions are powered by:
S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA)
The S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA) is an annual evaluation of companies’ sustainability practices relative to industry peers, focusing on criteria that are both industry specific and financially material. The CSA provides internal and external stakeholders with important insights into a company’s sustainability performance and value drivers. The CSA was established in 1999 and acquired by S&P Global in 2019.
- For the 2022 cycle of the CSA, the CSA scored more than 11,500 companies. Approximately 2,250 of these companies completed the CSA, an increase from approximately 1,300 in 2021
- The CSA compares companies across 61 industries via questionnaires assessing a mix of 80–100 cross-industry and industry-specific questions
- Companies are selected for inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI), S&P 500 ESG, and several other sustainability indices in part based on their results in the S&P Global CSA
S&P Global ESG Scores: Calculated by the CSA
S&P Global ESG Scores are uniquely informed by a combination of verified company disclosures, media and stakeholder analysis, and in-depth company engagement via the S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA).
The S&P Global ESG Scores are available publicly at:
Source: Exclusive company disclosure and exclusive disclosures via the S&P Global CSA Coverage as of September 2021. The 2021 methodology cycle will cover more than 11,500 companies, representing 99% of global market capitalization once it concludes
S&P Global Trucost
S&P Global Trucost assesses risks relating to climate change, natural resource constraints, and broader ESG factors to inform investment decision-making and power investment benchmarks.
Its practice areas are Capital Markets, Corporate Advisory, and Policy and Academic Research. Trucost develops a complete environmental performance profile encompassing:
|Carbon emissions and other pollutant impacts|
|Natural resource dependency|
Trucost data is used to power S&P Global ESG offerings, including:
- Portfolio Analytics
- ESG Reporting, including alignment with the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
- ESG Indices, including S&P Dow Jones Indices’ S&P Paris-Aligned & Climate Transition Index series and Carbon Efficient Index series